Museum will be re-opening soon
Ashburton Museum has moved to a new building and has almost finished setting up new exhibitions.
While the Museum is still closed to the public the opening of the new building on West Street, Ashburton (SH1) is expected to take place in February 2015.
No items are currently being accepted for the collection.
Contact by email or post is preferable. Phone contact for individual staff members will be erratic for a time.
Other Ashburton Resources
Family history enquiries may be made to the Ashburton District Family History Group, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzlasfhg/
The family history library at 254 Cameron Street is open Wednesdays 10am to 4pm, 2nd & 4th Fridays 1pm - 4pm & 1st & 3rd Saturdays 10am to noon.
The Ashburton Public Library newspaper research room is open Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 2pm to 5pm.
The Centre for Mid Canterbury's HeritageAdmission is free but donations are welcome. The Ashburton Museum is dedicated to preserving and making available for research and study the history and heritage of the Ashburton District — Mid Canterbury — the area bounded by the Rakaia and Rangitata Rivers, the Pacific Ocean and the Southern Alps.It is a diverse area with a diverse history, centred principally on farming, initially pastoral farming, then livestock and grain and more recently dairying.Industries have included woollen mills, freezing works and brickmaking. Many thousands of people have lived in the district since the 1850s, and records of many of their businesses, schools, churches and clubs are housed in the Museum Archives.
- Displays and Exhibitions are on the 'Displays' button
- Archives — Businesses, Schools, Clubs, Families information on the 'Research' button.
- Photos — People, Buildings, Events. The 'Photos' button has a sample gallery as well as ordering information.
- 'The Collection' button has a gallery of some of the objects in the collection.
- Library — Books about Ashburton history and general history — call in and browse.
- Retail — Many books about historical topics for sale, listed on the 'For Sale' button.
- Interested in becoming a member or a volunteer helper? Have a look at the 'Join Us' button.
Your help is needed to furnish our new home. Go to